“Prime Minister Churchill and Roosevelt met here a little over 70 years ago, and they asserted that the strength of the partnership between Great Britain and the United States was the strength of the free world. I still think there’s truth to that assertion.”
— President Biden, June 8, 2023
The United States and the United Kingdom are the closest of friends and Allies, cooperating on a range of important priorities, including defense and security, a thriving economic relationship, leadership in science and technology, and deep ties between our people and civil societies. Our historic Alliance, founded on shared values and common beliefs, ensures security and prosperity not only for our two nations but for the world.
Advancing Our Shared Values Across the Globe
- The United States and the United Kingdom share a commitment to uphold democratic values, human rights, and the rule of law. The UK is among our strongest partners in defending open societies, freedom of expression, and media freedom.
- Our countries coordinate closely to address the climate crisis, food insecurity, energy insecurity, global health challenges, and advance inclusive economic growth worldwide.
- AUKUS, a new security partnership between Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States, will promote a free and open Indo-Pacific that is secure and stable.
- The United States and UK share a commitment to protecting the gains of the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement, and preserving peace, stability, and prosperity for the people of Northern Ireland.
Standing Together in Support of Ukraine
- The United States and UK are working together – in coordination with other Allies and partners – to secure Ukraine’s future as a secure, sovereign, independent nation by investing in its long-term military capability and by strengthening its economy, its democracy, and its full integration with Europe.
- We are committed to supporting Ukraine’s brave defenders and helping Ukraine build a military capable of defending itself and deterring against future attacks.
- The United States and UK are working together with Ukraine to build support for a just and lasting peace that affirms the core principles of the UN Charter – sovereignty, territorial integrity, and independence – and supports Ukraine’s reconstruction and recovery.
Promoting Economic Prosperity for All
- Our countries are deeply linked by our economic ties and the bonds between our people. The UK is our largest foreign investment partner and biggest partner in services trade. Our respective companies directly employ more than one million workers in the other country.
- On June 8, 2023, President Biden and Prime Minister Sunak announced The Atlantic Declaration, a U.S.-UK economic partnership committing to enhance our cooperation across a number of critical economic sectors.
- As democratic and open societies we resolve to work together to ensure the safety, prosperity, and security of our nations and peoples while driving growth in living standards across the world.